Recent comments

• May Beginner's Workshop: Scribus Tutorial   4 years 10 weeks ago

Please indicate finishing time of meeting and change address to 110 Grey Street.

• Snip, Burn, Solder, Shred   4 years 15 weeks ago

Looks like a great book with lots of experiments and projects for kids to play.
    My only question is, are kids (10+ years old) capable of following the step-by-step instructions in this book by themselves without the help from an adult?
    I'd be willing to gift this to my kids and it would be great if they could play both together and not having me to do the 'hard stuff'. hehe

Thanks in advance, and great review.
    Cheers.

_____
    Alfred

• Game Physics Engine Development   4 years 18 weeks ago

Hello

I’m working on game development magazine – Game Coder Mag Physics – aimed mostly at professionals and those who study to work in the field of game development in the future.

I’m looking for authors for the next issue devoted to collision detection. But if You would like to chose other topic there won't be a problem. Please let me know if you'd be interested in writing an article for the magazine by mail adam.robakiewicz@software.com.pl

Best
    Adam Aleksander Robakiewicz

• BarCamp Geelong, Linux Install Fest and Mini-Conf   4 years 22 weeks ago

Hey, just wondering if Barcamp supports local Geelong business for its events?

• February Beginner's Workshop   4 years 23 weeks ago

The cost for attending the beginner's workshop is free.

The location is the Unitarian Church hall, 110 Grey Street East Melbourne. The talk will be by Andrew Pam on Linux games.

• February Beginner's Workshop   4 years 23 weeks ago

Please quote me for the February Beginner's Workshop, I need a price as my work will be re-imbusing me, thank you.

• February Beginner's Workshop   4 years 25 weeks ago

RE: Change of venue for Beginners on 18th Feb
    ==================================
    Hallo,
    Noticed change of venue for beginners Workshop.
    It says " TBC"
    It does not say where it is.
    ...and so, the question is...
    Where is TBC?...
    ... and what is TBC...?

PLS note I have send you an email about next beginners Workshop, about week and a half ago. There was no response.
    Could you, PLS make sure I got response this time?
    I do not know where to go...
    At least PLS confirm receiving this email, so that I know that there is sombody alive...
    Regards,
    Regards, Jerzy Sierzputowski.

• September Beginner's Workshop and Software Freedom Day   4 years 45 weeks ago

Hi!

Please spread the word about the GNOME Outreach Program for Women internships at this event and consider applying!

Thanks,
    Marina

• September Beginner's Workshop and Software Freedom Day   4 years 45 weeks ago

Over the past couple of years I have burned a lot of CDs and DVDs of linux distributions - artistx, clonezilla, puppy etc etc. Many of them I no longer use. So if I brought them along I could hand them out or give a talk about them in combination with handing them out. Virus free, md5 sums checked. I would be happy to bring them if you want me too. I probably have about a dozen CDs.

• September Beginner's Workshop and Software Freedom Day   4 years 45 weeks ago

• September Beginner's Workshop and Software Freedom Day   4 years 45 weeks ago

• August Beginner's Workshop   4 years 51 weeks ago

I wanna learn more about Linux that's why I wanna attend the LUV Beginner's Workshop on September. Will wait for your post for the September schedule.

• June Beginner's Workshop   5 years 9 weeks ago

Hi Henry,

just bring your laptop and we'll see how we can help.

Cheers
    Daniel.

• June Beginner's Workshop   5 years 9 weeks ago

I want to know more about Ubuntu and Unity. i am having problems configuring my laptop specially using Wine. Hope you can give me a hand.

• April Beginner's Workshop   5 years 16 weeks ago

Hi, i will try to be there, i've got a few (about 30) live CD's of fedora 14 i need to distribute before release day of F15.

Hope to meet you all there

• February Beginner's Workshop   5 years 21 weeks ago

No problems dany. Will try to get there soon. I have a clash on the 3rd Saturday.
    Thanks.
    Tony.

• March Beginner's Workshop   5 years 21 weeks ago

Flying is also free, as long as your arms don't get tired :)

• March Beginner's Workshop   5 years 22 weeks ago

Hello

Well ... not that am aware !! .. But then am not aware of much that is happening in Pasadena California!!

You are most welcome to attend our monthly workshop in Docklands, Melbourne Australia on March 19.

Mind you its not unknown for people to have flown across seas to come to our workshops before!! And its Free . so it wont cost you a cent... as far as entrance fee is concerned at least!

Cheers
    Daniel

• February Beginner's Workshop   5 years 22 weeks ago

Hello Tony

Apologies for not following up how you went with the Ubuntu Install on 19 Feb. As you may have noticed, I was scheduled to give a talk and got caught up with it.

How ever I would like to encourage you to come again on March 19 same time and I spend some time resolving any problem you may have and answer to any question you may have, as I will have more free time on the day.

Furthermore, I hope there will be other members available to help. We had an unusual series of personal circumstances which made it impossible for many Members to be present at the last workshop. Hopefully it wont happen again.

Cheers
    Daniel.

• March Beginner's Workshop   5 years 22 weeks ago

equivalent group in Pasadena Califonria usa?
    or Los Angeles

• February Beginner's Workshop   5 years 25 weeks ago

Hi Tony.

it depends which particular Linux version you want. Usually someone will have Ubuntu, Fedora or perhaps another one there.

If you want a particular one, just let me know and I see if I can get it.

Alternatively you can get it on latest Linux mags CDs at your news agent or recent APC mags (perhaps at a council library near you).

Cheers
    Daniel.

• February Beginner's Workshop   5 years 25 weeks ago

Hi ,
    Can someone help me install Linux on my new laptop?
    Do i need to bring the OS with me or will someone have it there?
    Thanks, Tony

• LUV Annual General Meeting   5 years 26 weeks ago

I beg your indulgence if you would allow a new member to do a lightening talk this evening on "toonlet: your own XKCD in minutes" if you can fit me in. Strictly for fun. See you this evening.

adkdjfdkgjsd

• December Beginner's Workshop   5 years 33 weeks ago

would love to see how to set up / configure Asterisk and TrixBox

• Beginner's Workshop   5 years 41 weeks ago

I guess if you want to discuss questions beforehand, the luv-beginners list would be the best place to do it - as you can see, the website forums are not very active (and we the moderators are not very quick at approving posts).

The mobile broadband depends on the particular broadband USB you have - for most of them, it's very easy, but a couple of them simply don't have drivers - the manufacturers don't care - and those can be either more difficult or impossible. If you bring it to the workshop, we can quickly find out which one is the case.

With 22" monitor, that's a bit harder to bring to the workshop, but we can at least show you where to look for the configuration tool and how to work with it.

As for anti-virus / malware, it's indeed true that in practice, nothing is needed. Generally, Linux only has anti-virus / malware software for situations when it's acting as a server for MS Windows computers, and it needs to scan e-mails before delivering them or scan files on shared drives.