Recent comments

• Beginner's Workshop   6 years 9 weeks ago

Hello
    I am interested in attending the next Saturday session. I was wondering if you need to submit a question or two before the session so that some scope can be prepared?
    I would like to know how to install my mobile broadband USB ("3") on my notebook running Ubuntu/Virtualbox OSE-with guest additions to be used with either ubuntu or Virtualbox/Windows Vista. also on the same config machine being able to utilise my 22" monitor using virtualbox/guest additions since I can only get the same size screen as my notebook (15.4") on my 22" monitor?
    Lastly I have heard that with linux you don't need to have any anti-virus/malware software installed since linux is secured due to access to the user having to give access to the root each time by password? Is this practically true? or what anti-virus/malware would be recommended?
    Thank you for your time. Cheers Peter

• Beginners Workshop   6 years 10 weeks ago

Hi futuristicme0,

The next beginner's workshop is on Sat 16th of October at The Hub @ Docklands 17 waterview walk 12:00noon until 4:00pm
    Assisted access... We will have disks etc there!

If you have not already done so, please sign up to the luv-announce mailing list to keep yourself up-to-date with events. It's low volume.

Also you might luv-beginners very helpful.

The mailing list interface is here:

All the very best,

Lev Lafayette

• Beginners Workshop   6 years 10 weeks ago

Hi Linux Users,

Its a really really big chance that i missed when i missed out on Open Software Day at State library in Victoria. Is there any way I can get some of the disks from that day and some stickers. I saw the video on Youtube, it was awesome.
    Please keep me posted with everything.

Also when is the next workshop.

I would love to learn about programming in unix for linux. Correct me if i am wrong. I am looking for a society where I can learn more about it. A place where i can learn because Linux has always been my passion but i never got the right opportunity but today here i am . :)

• Beginners Workshop   6 years 18 weeks ago

Hi Ameya,

The 21st of August is a saturday - not a weekday.

• Practical Arduino   6 years 18 weeks ago

The authors put a lot of effort into producing high quality, colour photographs with a purpose built light-box. It was terribly sad to see that effort significantly degraded in the final result. The authors also fought very hard to get better typography (consistent and readable fonts, layout, etc) ... and, once again, the end result did not reflect their desires.

Despite these obvious publishing shortcomings ... it was great to see that Jon's and Hugh's passion for putting microcontrollers to practical use ... still shines through the book's rough exterior. With content that is accessible to newcomers to electronics.

The success of the book prompted Jon to create FreeTronics as a means of providing readily available boards / kits for the projects in Practical Arduino.

Looks like his next big project is to put all this to everyday use in his own (under construction) home ... and produce an on-going series of video blogs on YouTube.

• Beginners Workshop   6 years 18 weeks ago
  • Beginners Workshop   6 years 18 weeks ago

DOCKLANDS The Hub @ Docklands
    17 waterview walk 8am - 6pm Assisted access

Is listed on the aec website as a polling place for the federal election on the 21st of August..

• Beginners Workshop   6 years 19 weeks ago

Hi there,

I would love to come to your workshop, the only problem is it is on weekday:(, Do you have the same workshop over weekend?

Please advise.

Ameya Agashe

• Beginner's Workshop   6 years 21 weeks ago

Hi Kelvin. You do not need to be a member or book and there is no fee. Just turn up at the Hub.

• Beginner's Workshop   6 years 22 weeks ago

I am interested to join this session. Do I need to be a member to attend? Any booking or entrance fee required?

• Beginner's Workshop   6 years 22 weeks ago

As many beginners as you like!!

... Well if you want to bring a friend or 2, you are absolutely welcome to do it, and in fact very much encouraged to do so.

There are usually 4-5 LUV Members in attendance to assist, so it really depends on each ones circumstances and how much time we can spend with each individual seeking help.

Remember this is a friendly and informal event.

Daniel.

• Beginner's Workshop   6 years 24 weeks ago

Is the workshop for only one beginner?

• Beginner's Workshop   6 years 27 weeks ago

The workshops assume you have a computer, but that's about it. If you have questions, just turn up and there will be someone to answer and/or help you :-)

The talks that are scheduled *can* assume some Linux knowledge, but that depends entirely on the talk in question.

• Beginner's Workshop   6 years 27 weeks ago

Hi Kaye,

Yup, just bring the netbook and broadband stick along and we shall try to get you sorted.

• Beginner's Workshop   6 years 27 weeks ago

Hi I have recently bought a netbook with linux on it and I want to connect it to the internet - I have a broadband stick thingy can anyone help me connect up on the 19th please
    Kaye

• Beginner's Workshop   6 years 29 weeks ago

hey i have no experience using linux but am very interested in using it in the future. is this workshop designed for someone like me.
    i guess what im trying to say is this workshop starting from the very start of using linux or are there anything i should know beforehand?
    thanks, ben.

• Beginner's Workshop   6 years 29 weeks ago

Around 1pm, there were 25 people at the workshop.

• Beginners' Workshop   6 years 30 weeks ago

There were about 18 people present when I counted just after 1pm.

• LUV April Meeting   6 years 32 weeks ago

There were about 61 people present at this meeting.

• LUV April Meeting   6 years 34 weeks ago

Cool, thanks Tim!

• LUV April Meeting   6 years 35 weeks ago
  • Scribus: The Official Manual   6 years 35 weeks ago

Looking for Typeography information

• Beginner's Workshop   6 years 38 weeks ago

That'd be great Edward - the more helping hands, the better :-)

• Beginner's Workshop   6 years 38 weeks ago

I don't know offhand what distros Andrew will discuss. He wants to cover some popular open source games and also show you how to get closed source games running via Wine.

• Beginner's Workshop   6 years 38 weeks ago

What games will he talk about? And what distro(s)?